Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tuxedo Heart Box

Hello! I found this cute See's Candies gift box, while browsing the local See's Candies store. (They give samples, in case you are wondering why I meandered inside) Anyway, I love these tuxedo boxes so I decided to try to re-create my own version for a little gift for my husband.

I used Spellbinders Hearts Nestabilities and cut Pure Luxury White, Black Onyx and Red Hot using the largest die.

I snipped a small corner from the bottom point and a larger section from the top, of the red heart.

I free hand drew a slightly curved line on the black heart and cut it away. They I used the section I had cut, flipped it over and used it as a template to draw the curve on the opposite side, then cut it. This way I had two pieces that were the same size.

I embossed the red piece with my Forest Branches Cuttlebug Folder, then I adhered it to the white heart, lining the two pieces up. Next, I adhered the two black sections on top of the first two.

I added black brads and a red bow tie. I wanted to use black, like in the photo, but I didn't have any wide black ribbon. I kept it pretty basic, but you could fancy it up by using glitter or shimmery paper to make lapels. If you look closely at the inspiration photo, you can see the hint of lapels.

Next, I made a basic black 2 X 3 X 2 box. I started with a 6 by 7 inch sheet of Pure Luxury Black Onyx and scored at 2 inches and 5 inches on the 7 inch side.

Rotated the card stock to the 6 inch side and scored at 2 and 4 inches.

Made the snips as shown to create side flaps.

Next, I creased along the fold lines and brought the side flaps together, adhering with Scor-Tape. Then I adhered the bottom flap to form the box.


I adhered the tuxedo heart to the box, then added a plain black heart to the back of the box. I adhered it to that the heart lays on it's side, lining the flat side of the heart up with the bottom of the box. I was going for a very simple look, but you could use the heart to decorate a larger box, and keep it upright, or use it as a tag, on a card, or on a scrapbook page. It was really simple and fun to make.

I added a little bag of treats in a cello bag to fill the box. The sentiment is from Purrr-fectly Delightful. I stamped it on Pure Luxury White and cut it out using Spellbinders Petite Oval Nestabilities, then layered with Black Onyx, cut with Scalloped Petite Oval Nestabilities.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!


22 comments:

Lee said...

AAAAAAAACK!!!! How cute is this??? I totally am gonna CASE!!!!!

alex said...

Theresa this is so clever, thanks for sharing :-)

Lou said...

I adore your tutorials, your colouring ones are really helping, thankyou, so much so i am a follower and gettting your updates straight to my email so i don't miss any! I can't thank you and praise you enough. this little tuxedo box is fantastic, such a clever idea, your hubby will treasure it for sure. Lou x

carla said...

So cool, thanks for sharing.
Have a nice day.

Hugs,
Carla

JoAnn said...

How cute is this! Thanks so much for the idea.

reflections:0) said...

Love this!


Flexie:0)

An'Jenic G. said...

Wow this is so kool. I love it. thanks for sharing.

Lorraine said...

This is so cute & cool, Theresa! Thanks for showing how you created it!

Sue said...

Oh wow this is fabulous, brill tutorial, thank you, have lovely weekend, sue,x

Unknown said...

This is cutiest box EVER...I will be using this...Thanks

Anonymous said...

Your Tuxedo Heart Box is adorable Theresa. Thanks you so much for taking the time to make a tutorial for it too.

Judy Covey

Vicki Dutcher said...

OMWord!! This is so awesome!! WTG there Theresa!!

Paulette S said...

Theresa, this is so sweet for Valentines Day. All x's and o's...

Beth Norman said...

Gosh I love your talent. This box totally rocks.

Nancy Seed said...

This is so cute. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Katherine said...

I'm speechless. All I can say is WOW!

Rema DeLeeuw said...

I love this! Got to make one for my man.....

Patricia St Martin said...

This is so cute. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Judy Inukai said...

This is just adorable! Thanks for the fabulous inspiration and the great tutorial.

Ravengirl said...

Wow! I'm not sure that there is anything you can't make!

Ellen Taylor said...

such a fabulous gift! Thanks for your tutorial! Your blog is so inspiring and educational! Thanks for sharing your incredible talent!

Unknown said...

Totally missed this the first time around! It is FABULOUS! TFS!!